- Why Choose ROFL?
- Options Explained
- Kit Parts List and Accessories
- Demonstration and Flight Videos
- Assembly Videos
- Tips and Tricks
- Downloads and Useful Links
ROFL is perhaps the best featured quadcopter at this price point. The open source firmware and simple construction combines insane hackability and customisability with simplicity, high crash tolerance and a super fast build time. Replacing parts is an absolute breeze, spend less time building, more time flying.
With its motor upgrade it can carry a hefty payload (up to around 1 Kg) in any number of different modes. Its one of our central products and we are an extremely active, fast growing company, new and exciting developments are happening all the time, including regular code updates to increase functionality and add reliability (which are obviously available to all existing customers). Basically, it's suitable for all purposes and we'll sure you'll have fun with it. In the unlikely event you have any problems, we're always here to help out.
- Low Cost
- High Performance
- Easy Construction
- Upgradable Firmware
- Perfect for Modifying
- GPS, magnetometer and barometer for navigation and position hold
- Flight stabilisation with MEMS accelerometer and gyroscope
- Wireless telemetryoption available for computer-based real-time waypoint planning.
Get the latest ROFL Firmware. ROFL's firmware is released under BSD open source license, and user-upgradable via the supplied mini-USB cable - a simple drag and drop firmware updating mechanism is available, allowing functionality of ROFL to be upgraded without any additional hardware. We are continuously releasing new firmware containing new features and improved flight algorithms.
The user can freely modify the firmware, and upload their own version to add their own functionality. Custom firmware can be loaded onto ROFL with no restrictions via the same drag and drop firmware update mechanism.
ROFL uses the increasingly popular MAVLink protocol (version 3). Which is supported by QGround Control, and excellent, third party, open source ground control software for Windows, Mac and Linux.
- Get your Hivebrain Pair set up.
- Download and Install QGround Control v 1.0
- Run and Click on "Connect Link"
- Choose the "Forebrain Virtual COM Port"
- Select Baud Rate 115200
- Choose "Emit Heartbeat"
- Hit Connect and you should see the HUD come live.
- Use the "Calibration and Parameters" widget to tune the quadcopter.
- Select Data transfer Rates (in Hz) in this widget if you want to watch or log the values.
ROFL is designed to be ultra easy to modify, but to help you get started or enable you to fly right away we offer an ever expanding range of options and accessories. Finding it hard to decide what to choose? Read on.
Forebrain, Hivebrain or Hivebrain PRO?
Hivebrain offers significant advantages:
- Tune/ change parameters at the click of a button
- Change between all the flight modes available, instantaneously
- Watch the HUD attitude display and other flight information in real time
- Track ROFLs postion on google maps (built into Qground Control)
- Send GPS waypoint commands (developmental)
- Fly with a gamepad or joystick (developmental)
- Log in flight data with Qground Control to keep flight records
- Faster code changes with wireless entry to reprogram mode.
Hivebrain PRO offers all these advantages but at an extended range. Find out more about Hivebrain and Hivebrain PRO
Forebrain is a great, cost effective way to get flying, remember, you can swap in a Hivebrain later, it's an ultra easy switch over. Find out more about Forebrain.
8A or 20A Power System?
The 20A system is advised for most applications and offers:
- Significantly increased payload capabilities (up to 1Kg)
- More stability and power available, particularly useful for outdoor flight.
- Approximately 150grams heavier, so slight reduction in flight times with the same battery pack, but greater resiliance to wind buffet.
The 8A system is cheaper, great for flying indoors and can still carry a 200-300gram payload. It also has a smaller total diameter as it uses the 8" props.
2.4GHz DSM2 Reciever?
We only guarantee the ROFL system will work with the reciever available on our website and the Spektrum Dx6i and Dx5e as these are the radios and reciever we fly with. However, most 2.4Ghz DSM2 Radio systems should be compatible, so if you already have a reciever we offer the option not to include ours. If you find yours has problems, then you can purchase a reciever separately from us.
2300mah LiPo Battery?
Please note that we advise the use of 3 cell LiPo batteries with ROFL. The default 2300mah battery we supply will allow a flight time of between 10 and 15 minutes without payload. You can purchase another and run ROFL in panier mode, or use your own 3 Cell LiPo. We often fly with a 5000mah Battery. These will soon become available for purchase.
ROFL in Twin Panier Mode
Kit Parts List
|1||Parallel Power Connector|
|4||Brushless Motor (8A) (20A)|
|4||Electronic Speed Controller (12A) (20A)|
|1||2300mah 3 Cell LiPo Battery|
|1||Processor Board (Forebrain) (Hivebrain) (Hivebrain PRO)|
|1||Seraphim Sensor Board and GPS Antenna|
|1||Servocon Connector Board|
|1||2.4GHz DSM2 Receiver|
|2||Servo Connection Wire|
|Headers and Sockets|
|1||ROFL A Frame|
|1||ROFL B Frame|
|2||ROFL C Frame|
|2||ROFL D Frame|
|4||ROFL E Frame|
|17||M3 Hardened 25mm Motor Bolt|
|2||Red Aluminium Collet Spinner|
|2||Silver Aluminium Collet Spinner|
|3||(8) (10) x 4.5 CCW Prop|
|3||(8) (10) x 4.5 CW Prop|
|1||Velcro Battery Strap|
|4||Velcro Electronics Strap|
|Self Adhesive Velcro Strip|
|1||2.5mm Allen Key|
|1||Tube of Medium Thread Lock|
|Heat Shrink for Servocon Mount|
(available/coming soon/ developmental)
|Extended Landing Gear|
|4300mah 3 Cell LiPo Battery|
|Carbon Fibre Frame Kit|
|Universal Electronics Mounting Plate|
|Night Flying LEDs|
|Battery Voltage Sensor|
|CMOS Camera Localisation System|
|Payload Remote Grasping System|
|Fail Safe Remote Relay and Parachute|
|FPV/ Live Camera System|
- QGround Control - Downloads page, but also find Qground control guides and videos on this site.
- Forebrain hub
- Hivebrain hub